How to do it:
1. Preheat oven to 140C degrees.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy, then add salt, cream of tartar and white sugar for 8-10 mins. TIP: #1 egg whites should be room temp. To create room temp eggs, submerge in warm water for 5 mins. Whip until they form a peak that stands upright.
3. Then add the food coloring (if any) or Bakels Butta Vanilla. TIP#2 Color does fade as it cooks, so do a shade or two darker than you want them to be.
4. TIP#3 Sift almond flour, and powdered sugar. What remains will be the larger lumps of almond pieces. You want a really fine powder mixture to create a smooth and pretty on top to your cookie.
5. Fold flour/sugar mixture into the egg white mixture. TIP#4 This is where all your hard work can really go wrong. Under mix and your macaroons will be lumpy and cracked when the bake with no feet, over mix and your macaroons will be flat and won't have feet. Transfer batter to a pastry bag.
6. Pipe out 1 inch rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. TIP#5: tap the pan hard at least 2-3 times to release the air bubbles. This will prevent the tops of your macaroons from cracking.
8. TIP#6 Let them sit out for 60-80 mins. This will allow them time to dry out a bit before hitting the hot oven. They should be "tacky" to the touch, but not stick to your fingertips. This is another important step to assuring your macarons develop feet! When they dry out they can't spread out in the oven, and are forced to rise up. That's what creates the feet!
9. Bake for 20 mins. DO NOT UNDER BAKE, even if they look done! Otherwise they will stick to your tray.
1. Fill a pair of macaron with 5 grams of Bakels Dark Chocolate Fudge / Caramel Cream Filling / Orange Cream Filling / Vanilla Cream Filling.
Yield: 27 pieces